Saturday, February 18, 2006

a photo essay


Here's where I went when I cut school last Friday.

First, you climb down this:




Then, you get to this:




Pretty cool, huh? It's a green sand beach on the southernmost tip of the island (and the US, for that matter), where the sand is made up of lava rock and fine particles of a semi-precious green stone.

Too bad I was grumpy because the wind was like this:


Jon and Melissa (the lovely lady seen walking above), if you are reading this, I'm sorry I was such a sourpuss. Ben, sorry I wouldn't let you jump off the 40-foot cliff; something spooked me. Perhaps it was the conversation we'd had a few minutes before about how there is nothing between this spot and Antarctica, or how Melissa's guidebook said if you jumped off, the current would take you directly there.

To any future visitors, I now offer my endorsement to jumping off the cliff at the South Point fish ladders.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

So this is what the wisdom I impart to you begets? Sourpussiness? (And yes, I apologize for the unpleasant ring that word might leave in the ear.)

Glad you finally cheered up!

Sorry I haven't yet called back to spread the zees--it's always the wrong damn time. Like this morning at 9 am, I thought, I'll call Jill on my way to work. Except, crap, it's 3 in da mo'nin. But I *will* call with all manner of titillating gossip, just as soon as I make some up!

Keep up the good writing--we office peons need SOME reason to live.

R

Paul said...

The Big Island Revealed!