Saturday, February 04, 2006

do not go gentle


My goal for today is to plan out the next two weeks in complete detail, so that I don't have to do a lick of work for the next 10 days, when Ben's childhood friend (trust me, they're still "childhood friends," no offense, Jon) and his gal-pal come to visit. I want to show them a whirlwind good time, and that does NOT include having them sit around uncomfortably watching my tear my hair out each night as I wrestle with my insecure-teacher demons. So I must plan. And what better way to fill two weeks than with a scary assignment like "Create a poetry portfolio that will make up 20 percent of your final grade?"

Is anyone reading? If so, I need suggestions for writing exercises that will lead high schoolers into writing poetry. Respond! Respond, respond, against the dying of the light.


6 comments:

Dennis R. Plummer said...

Give them a poem written in another language and have them "translate" it. (Seriously, it's a good exercise.)

Play the surrealist game of someone starting off a poem, then passing it to the next person with only the last word showing. Person two adds a line, passing it to the left with only their last word showing. Then read it aloud at the end.

Write a haiku that describes your experience at school yesterday.

Have them bring in lyrics from their fav bands and identify what kind of poetry mechanism is being used. Supply them with Eminem liner notes if they start to get bored.

If all else fails, limericks about chics from Nantucket are right up the ol' high school alley!

Anonymous said...

I'm always reading. Right until the bitter end, courtesy of consumption, apparently, or to put it another way, when you're a "lunger."

Can't beat Dennis's suggestions, though.

PS--Can't remember my freakin' password, so haven't been able to comment in weeks. I haven't wanted to remain "anonymous"--too big of an ego--but, what's a girl to do?

Any guesses as to my mysterious identity?

Anonymous said...

cynthia?

Anonymous said...

no wait, it's robyn, isn't it?

Anonymous said...

Name that tune:

In case you and yours miss it, I have a special post just for you. It's the one titled, "Everbody Sing..."

-D

Anonymous said...

I fear the poetry has consumed you, hence the lack of posts. How sad. I trust that you are not going gently.