Wednesday, October 08, 2008

simple carbohydrates



I had a lovely birthday yesterday; thanks for the calls and Facebook messages! I should probably be posting this there, but ever since I started feeling obligated to become friends with the Mean Girls who hated me in high school, the boys who ignored me, and people not so far removed from my students, I've started trying to keep the personal info to a minimum. So I'm not linking to Missy Mussy from my profile. What a budding conspiracy theorist I am.

Anyway, here were the highlights:

  • Started the day with half a leftover doughnut from Ben's Sunday sojourn to Winchell's.
  • Taught Nutrition class. This would only become more ironic as the day went on.
  • Got my Washington driver's license. Gift #1: I waited less than 20 minutes, compared to the 2 hours we spent when Ben got his, and the lady was nice to me! Sadly, the mean lady I'd noted last time took my picture. After the first one, she grunted, shook her head, and signaled me wordlessly for a second try.
  • Had lunch at the German deli next to the DMV: marinated vegetables, a salami-and-buttercheese sandwich on that European wholemeal bread that you never find anywhere else, and the cutest tiny waxed paper bag of potato chips. I felt like Frances with her mini shaker of salt.
  • Picked Theo up from school to take him to gym class. He was so excited to see me, if I do say so myself, probably owing to the fact that I am willing to humiliate myself by pretending to be Roo from Winnie the Pooh every time we play.
  • Played.
  • Had a birthday dinner of pizza & Chardonnay (my two favorite food groups, cheesey carbs & white wine), followed by......
  • DECORATE YOUR OWN CUPCAKES!!!!!!! Theo was so excited about the stuff they had chosen at the store--candy corn, pastel mints, and sugary birthday letters, it was hard to not be awash in childhood delight. He carefully arranged as many mallowcreme pumpkins and mints as would fit on each cupcake, then ate one bite and proclaimed himself done eating, proving my sister's philosophy that if you don't limit candy and sweets, kids will naturally stop themselves when they're full. Levi happily smashed his face into a cupcake and got frosting up his nose. Gift #2: A friendly reminder from the heartstrings to the old baby machinery: Let's get crackin'! I can't wait to start my brood and name the first one Prig, or maybe Squirt, out of admiration for our potential new first ever female Prez! [Aside: Ben and I made a pact that if Marge McMoosemunch becomes Actual President, we will consider moving abroad.]
  • The night was capped off with Gifts # 3 and 4: a box of powdered sugar donuts (guess who picked that out?) and a UW sweatshirt from Ben, "to keep my Mussy warm." We had already shopped for wine glasses over the weekend, having given away the wine glasses he gave me two birthdays ago before the move.
Awww. I am very warm indeed.

And today is the last day I eat nothing but leftover pizza, donuts, and cupcakes. Tomorrow I'll try to weave in another food group, especially since we're starting food diaries in Nutrition class, and I just couldn't live with the hypocrisy.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I'm craving a pizza and doughnut midnight snack in the worst way now. And I'm not even a big doughnut fan...

The image of Levi with frosting up his nose melted the ol' ticker.

Lucrecia (b/c I can't remember my password for the blogger acct)