Monday, March 10, 2008

too far?


Today I told one class they sounded like a horde of Beavises and Buttheads. Then added an impression (hunh, hunh, hunh, durrhhhhh) for emphasis. Apparently, B&B is being rerun on some cable channel, so they actually knew what I was talking about.


After another class rushed out the doors to see a potential fight in progress, ignoring me until I slammed the doors and threatened that anyone caught outside would get turned in for truancy, I told them I'd hate to see how they would act in the midst of a terrorist attack (as if that were entirely possible, even imminent, on our ridiculously rural campus). I punctuated this with a slack-jawed, buck-toothed impression:

Duhrrr. Wonder wut's goin' on out thay're? C'mon, yall! [explosive sound effect]

It's funny how even in Hawaii, a Southern accent universally connotes dumbness. Of course, had I used a pidgin impression, it might not have gone over so well.

No comments: