Tuesday, November 22, 2011

exhibit Z that too much internet research can only lead to ruin

After spending at least 8 hours researching the best detergent for cleaning cloth diapers, I decided on this stuff called Charlie's Soap. It had hundreds of five-star reviews, and was glowingly recommended by diaper retailers, moms in the "cloth diapering community" (yes, there is such a thing), and several of my friends. It's an all-natural soap made of coconut oil and washing soda, and if the reviews and manufacturer are to be believed, will leave your clothes soft, stain- and fade-free; will clear up skin problems you may have; and will make your clothes fit so well that you'll look ten pounds lighter and years younger!

This weekend, I spent another 8 hours and untold gallons of water "stripping" our washing machine (since Charlie's is supposed to work best when you get rid of all residues from old detergents), washing our new cloth diapers five times (since you have to do that to make them absorbent), and starting to wash all of our own clothes and linens in this miracle soap of the gods. I also washed every single article of baby clothing in Charlie's, from onesies to  swaddlers to receiving blankets, lovingly folding and organizing them as I congratulated myself for being so eco-friendly, so caring of my baby's skin, so conscientious as to build her a little bubble into which no phthalates, endocrine disruptors, sulfates, or other bogeymen shall enter.

Then, while seeking more information about how to use Charlie's, I came across dozens of forums where mothers reported their babies have gotten blistering, oozing chemical burns from diapers washed in it. I started to worry. I spent another few hours reading more reports from both sides: Charlie's is a miracle soap! Charlie's is the devil's soap! Charlie's works great if you add five other things to your machine and do five extra rinses, but if you only do four rinses, your baby's butt will turn crimson and she'll hate you for life! I started to wonder whether I'd made a mistake. I told Ben. Ben mocked me and said it would be fine.


Ben just called from work, where he is visiting the on-site medical clinic as he has suddenly developed hives all over his body. I guess I should be glad that I only poisoned my husband and not my baby, but I still feel terrible. Could this be the sign I need to give up my addiction to online reviews? Maybe this is the universe's way of telling me to chill out about being eco-friendly, non-toxic and natural. Maybe I should head to Wal-Mart to stock up on Huggies, formula, cheap plastic noise-making toys, and Tide.

If I can't even get this right....I give up. Why couldn't I have been a mother in the 50s, when there was ONE way to do things? One baby book (Dr. Spock), one diapering option (have your housekeeper change your baby using cloth diapers and pins), and one way to give birth (completely unconscious, while dad drank whiskey in the waiting room). 

UPDATE: So I may have overreacted a little. It turns out Ben was reacting to some contact that he had with fiberglass. (Our hot water heater is wrapped in a blanket that sheds fiberglass, and he was dutifully checking the water temperature as recommended by our baby books.) But I am still conflicted about this soap issue. Should I continue to wash our stuff in Charlie's, or start over (which will require me to rewash all the baby clothes multiple times in a new detergent)?


5 comments:

Cala said...

I read and research obsessively, and am not sure how to feel about it. Will I be over-prepared or under-prepared? What will I do wrong? How do I avoid doing important things wrong? If I over-think it all, will I just drive myself crazy? We're in the same boat, and I figure that's a pretty normal place to be...

Lucrecia said...

Internet consumer research drives me batshit crazy. I always vow only to look at one or two sites, but then of course never stick to it, and hours and hours later am left even more confused than ever and hating the nitpickers.

missymussy said...

Glad I'm not the only one who's wasted hours! The problem in this case is that it's not just a few nitpickers, but a bunch of reports, across multiple sites, of scary-sounding effects of this soap. I think I'm going to go with the crowd on this one and switch to something that isn't suspected of causing chemical burns! And then I'm THROUGH with internet consumer reviews! (But first I have to use them in order to pick my new soap.)

Anonymous said...

To add to your plethora of internet reviews: We have used Purex Free and Clear, Rockin Green, and Country Save, and all work fine. Country Save is probably my favorite.

You can, and may, drive yourself crazy with all the information out there on cloth diapering. Feel free to ask us any questions, and good luck!--EOS

missymussy said...

Thanks, EOS! I think I'm going to try Country Save next.