Saturday, April 01, 2006

I beseech you


Does anyone have any ideas for studying lyrics with a rather remedial class of 11th graders? I promised them this assignment before spring break, and if I don't follow through on Monday, there could be a mutiny. Of course, I told them about it without thinking through how we would study their chosen songs, which are largely about hard core drug use (a 50 Cent ditty about heroin), recreational drug use ("Wrap it Up," a double entendre for both rolling a joint and fornicating), and whatever other kinds of drug use there are, without degenerating into a session of "listening to CDs." (No one in this class has an ipod, thank goodness.)

So, the parameters are: they get to choose their songs, I get to veto the really bad ones, and I need to make them study the words and write about the songs in some way. The goal is to learn that understanding and analyzing how language works can be fun! And you do it everyday without realizing it! And knowledge is power! And if they are inspired to lift me up at an assembly while singing "Lean on Me," so be it.

2 comments:

Jolene said...

I have an idea- is there some way you can also integrate American Idol into this? I.e.- have them present a few songs each day, then have them all vote for their favorite(s)? You could even elect different "judges" and a host each day by pulling names!

Though I try to forget my three years in a classroom trying to motivate little punks, I have learned how to keep them occupied!

Dennis R. Plummer said...

I just count the number of letters in a song. Does that make it a math assignement?